Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Poem 2017

I wrote this poem a while back. Many of us have experienced this. I saw it first hand as a teen in a small town in Pennsylvania during the Vietnam War. It has happened throughout our Nation's history. It happened during the Cold War even though we supposedly "Won without firing a shot", and it still happens today during the War on Terror.

The poem is my way of honoring those that paid the ultimate price to ensure our freedom. Thank you. John Kairis, USN, 1972-1982

MY BOY IS COMING HOME TODAY

My boy is coming home today
          Smartly dressed children at play
          Proud woman pressing his shirt
My boy is coming home today
          Military man's photo on a mantel
          The doorbell rings, it is time
My boy is coming home today
          Apprehension swells for all
          A row of black cars at the ready
My boy is coming home today
          Silent procession through the streets
          A strong hand holds hers
My boy is coming home today
          Red, white, and blue
          Folded flag, volley fire, taps
My boy is coming home today
          He always stood up for others
          And gave his life for them

My boy came home today


Please feel free to share this poem with others through social media, email, etc. Share it with your friends, relatives, and veterans where it may mean something to that person.

The copyright statement below is for anyone who would use this for commercial purposes. For that person, please connect with me at proudcoldwarrior@gmail.com, and we can discuss approval.

Copyright © 2014-2019 by John Kairis & Kairis Family Enterprises (KFE) All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

No comments:

Post a Comment