Friday, May 8, 2015

Cold War Freedom - Swords into Plowshares


I read this post by Eric Todd on the American Cold War Veterans Facebook page and just had to share. It truly reflects how I, and maybe thousands of Proud Cold Warriors feel.

"Not too long ago, our family took a little road trip. We visited my son's maternal grandfather's grave at the U.S. cemetery in Salisbury, NC. He was a marine in the Korean war who survived the march up the peninsula and back down. He died a few years before I met his daughter (my wife). My 8 year old son asked "Dad, I see these headstones with the wars they were in. You were in the Cold War, right? Who won?" It just so happened that the previous week, I had taken a look on Google Earth at Augsburg Germany at the location where I had served in the mid-80's (Flak Kaseren) and saw part of it had been turned into a kid's playground. I answered him, "Sam, EVERYBODY won, because we did not end up killing every last person on the planet, though we could have". The sight of the playground, to me, was a wonderful example of swords back into plowshares."

With me being a Navy Squid I have no idea what all this means but when I asked Eric what he did in Germany, his rank, MOS, etc., this is what he shared. I am sure you Army guys understand all this.

SP4 (p), US Army, Augsburg, Germany 1982-1987, MOS 05D, 409th ASA Co/502nd ASA Bn (redesignated as A Co/204th Mi Bn in 1986)

Wow, that is a mouthful compared to I served on the USS whatever!

This is why I started this blog. We Cold Warriors need to share our stories, our thoughts, and our hope that the current and the future generations will stand up and protect the Freedom we protected in our time. The Vets of the '90s carried on, and the Post 9/11 generation has, and still is, during this long and arduous War on Terror. I am so proud of them. God bless and keep them out of harm's way.

Thank you Eric. I could not have written those sentiments better than how you told them to your son that day.

PS: With all this Army in Germany talk in today's post, I decided to share a teaser on an upcoming post. I have completed my reading of the fictional novels, graphic novels, and comic books about Team Yankee in WW3 and will be posting soon. I really enjoyed reading all of it and hopefully can convey a solid review for you all. Watch for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment