Sunday, November 9, 2014

9NOVEMBER1989



25 Years! Seems like yesterday. A member of a Cold War Facebook group I belong to asked yesterday, Where were you when the Wall came down? Hundreds of comments quickly filled the stream. My cell phone was buzzing so much at work I had to silence it.

To be honest, I do not remember exactly. 25 years ago, I was probably on a sales call somewhere, now a civilian, making a living selling computers for a company in Pennsylvania. I remember being ecstatic though when I saw the evening news broadcast. The first thing I thought was - It won't be long, the USSR will fail now that the people have a taste of freedom. I and millions of others were right. The Soviet Union did collapse as we all know.

The web is all buzzing with stories about the wall, and sorry to say, the appearance that we may be on the verge of a new Cold War with Russia. Diminished as she may be, but formidable and on a re-surge militarily; Russia is proving to be a thorn in the West's side once again.

Today I have decided to use the occasion of the 25th anniversary and do two post. The first article is from the historical viewpoint and what the 25th anniversary of the Wall coming down meant. There will be a second post of an article that I feel touches on the topics of why the Cold War is restarting.

With the restart of the Cold War, I decided to invest more time in this historical blog and also start a new blog to cover the discussions and events. I decided to call the blog Cold War 2.0 versus The New Cold War, or Cold War Part Deux (other titles considered) because as with a software upgrade, the original version is just changing, it never really ended.

With this change, I am also upgrading the blog technology. The blog will continue on Blogspot for a while while I update the look feel, and capabilities with Wordpress. I am also going to produce t-shirts, caps, etc for purchase. I am proud of my service in the Cold War and I have discovered many other veterans are as well. Watch for the Proud Cold Warrior logo soon along with the new blog roll out later this year.

Thank you very much for visiting. Please read the two additional post this day and check back soon for the new and improved blogs.

JohnnyK
The Proud Cold Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment